Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hoop Net: Large Float with Rope Management

I am gearing up to go down to southern California to do some fishing and catch some lobsters. My brother gave me some hoop nets he does not use so I decided to rig them the way I want them. The first thing I decided to do was change the main float with a larger commercial style float. I also decided to add a weight at the tag end of my line so it will pull through the float and manage excess line. By sending it to the ocean floor out of the way of boat propellers.






The first step is to remove the small float. It is as simple as untying the knot. Then thread the line through the commercial float with the pointy end towards the net.




I went with an 6oz torpedo sinker to manage my excess line and a stainless steel fender washer to stop the float and rope from being separated.




Thread the rope through the fender washer and tie a double over hand knot. Then zip tie the sinker to the rope next to the washer and trim off the excess.






You can pull the sinker into the float for easy storage.






Now you have an upgraded hoop net with a bigger float and an excess rope management system.

No comments:

Post a Comment